Inventing for Wink: Instantly Connected? Here Are Some Tips…
Posted ago by Stephen
We’re off to a superb start with Wink: Instantly Connected, the new line of app-enabled smart home products that we’re developing with our partners at GE. Your submissions have already wowed us in so many ways!
As you may already know, all of our Wink products will be powered by Electric Imp’s microchip technologies. Electric Imp’s co-founder, Hugo Fiennes recently told us, “It’s very good to make something that you know people want. That’s the number one thing when launching a new product: Is anyone going to buy it? Is there a market?” We couldn’t agree more!
We’re hoping that you submit ideas that aren’t just outrageous, but also have serious market potential. Here are some tips to show you what kinds of products that we’d love for you to submit in the Wink: Instantly Connected category:
- Apps are super cool, but focus on the product. If we can sell your world-changing product, it would be so much cooler than if it sits idly on a store shelf. Focus on the product when you’re pitching ideas.
- Think about the problem that you’re trying to solve. If you’re trying to solve a very small problem with a very big solution, your product may not be necessary. We want to solve big problems with little effort, so your apps do the work for you!
- What would your product be without the app-powered technology? We want you to imagine how your product would function without an app, so you can explain to us just how awesome your idea is when you add the benefits of an app.
- Why do you need this product made? We have so many needs that come before our wants. Focus on your needs!
- Go beyond the on/off switch. While having an app-enabled on/off switch on existing products would be cool, it’s not nearly as inventive as we’re hoping that you can be. Put you’re thinking caps on and get creative!
- Make products that think about you. One of our goals with Wink is for you to invent products that we don’t have to constantly be thinking about, but rather products that think about our well-being. The sky’s the limit.
- Simplify your life. Create products that make your life easier. It’s that simple.
- Use your senses. When you touch, see, taste, hear, and smell, your life becomes more efficient and generally better. How can you use your senses to make smarter products for the home?
Please think about this list when you submit your next Wink: Instantly Connected idea, and stay tuned for our next special Wink product evaluation on Tuesday, May 21 at 7pm EST!