Open Discussion
Talk about anything and everything. Read our Code of Conduct before posting.

EarKneesToe
What did Albert Einstein mean when he said: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
EarKneesToe 12/05/2012 05:54 PM

You maybe ask , What is your Genius?

EarKneesToe
EarKneesToe

Posted on Facebook :
What did Albert Einstein mean when he said: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
4 hours ago · Like · 1

Kevin Moore Something I think about all the time Ernesto! The simple things in life we give no though to, Walking, Riding a bike, weaving through a crowd without bumping into each other, Making dinner,,, now try sitting down and writing out the computer code to get a robot to do any of those things. Everybody is a genius!
3 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Ernesto Jr Tan Now, I have another Question , What is your Genius?
about an hour ago · Like

Ernesto Jr Tan Can't think one? Albert Einstein believe that we are capable of doing one thing better than the other person...
about an hour ago · Like

Ernesto Jr Tan Hmmmm.... You might be thinking and whispering to yourself that you don't have one? Being Genius is not all about the extraordinary individuals! Who are those Extraordinary individuals anyway? Do you think , they are the only ones who has a Genius? Purely, we can't count those only who has great achievement and success in their walk of life like the celebrities , nominees, CEOs of big corporations like Bill Gates. How about the rest of us? Are we just going to walk quietly and join the masses? I don't think so! Once you know who you are, why you are here on earth, you realize your purpose on this temporary life because we don't live forever, when you find that satisfying feeling in your life whatever you are doing even just the shortest time , regardless of the result or what other people says to you and that does not bothers you like you're at peace , then you have discovered your own Genius! Whatever you love doing either to help other people or created something great , you invented something, it won't really matter much what form , your Genius is your Genius that you heartily take as your own , embracing it as you are blessed and Glorified... When do you know , you just discovered your Genius? You will know when the time that you are doing something you like full of joyous moment of timelessness as the hours just passed so quickly without notice and you forgot how many hours you already spent for that particular activities and you don't consider it as a load of works rather a passion and that you are so passionate about what you are doing.And , also when you experience that happiness and timeless moment and you can't wait to share that to the other People , it is simply part of you and who you are. You Probably , seen the connection between your needs and your ultimate desires , which your unique Talents is the one that holds the missing key! Conceivably, not possible to totally develop and to engage the attention and effort of all your talents. The challenging fact for everyone of us , is to develop a lifestyle that will permit your desires, needs, and talents to live in harmoniousness.I believe in my heart that these are the secrets to a fulfilling life and becoming your best...

Me5
Ricardo N. Gangarossa

I have done much tutoring and found most people are far more intelligent then they think, they just need to find it and/or awaken it. There are many ways people learn: logically, abstractly, geometrically, symbolically, perceptually, methodically, mechanically, intuitively and more. If a person is not approached in the way they learn, the assumption is that they are not smart. --- Check out my profile videos.

Capone
Capone

To me that quote could also have the name "The Theory of Relativity, philosophy style". It's like considering yourself poor if you have a crappy car, but then thinking about living in 1612 and being lucky to have a horse.
I think I snopes that quote once. I don't think Einstein said it buddy.

Thrifty
Thrifty

i am a fish ! i cant climb trees

Sculpture_by_thea_alvin
ampwashere

I think it means we all have undiscovered gifts and talents to discover, share and utilize. Only by exploring that, not judging failure as a negative and being open to learn, dare and Live, do we live up to our potential. Failures are opportunities to try things differently, a challenge to learn more, prepare more and do something better and grow a thick skin, to protect us for bigger falls and victories.
So very many people are afraid and just stop.

Clinton Fleenor
Clinton Fleenor

Don't evaluate yourself based on what others think.

Mark Fusco
Mark Fusco

Applied to the context of Quirky, I think you could rephrase this as:

Everyone, by virtue of being human, is inventive.
However, if they can't express those ideas well in words, or have no means of rendering an attractive image of it,
that person will believe their ideas are lame, because they will be judged on the telling of the story, not the idea driving it.

Clinton Fleenor
Clinton Fleenor

too true. too sad.
And Quirky's fail from before it began: Trying to use what people think about the product idea without a system that collects that information (because it "mixes in" what we think of the telling of the story, of the person, and our guesses at what the staff will like.)

Mark Fusco
Mark Fusco

I don't think it's a "fail" really. After all, it's in our DNA to judge things and people by their appearance and commonality in culture.

What we need to ensure of, however, is that there is a continuing strong mix of community and staff that are broad-minded enough to see through these first impressions and story telling to see the heart (if you will) and/or potential of the idea as it stands on its own.

Capone
Capone

Cool post Ernesto.

Thy
Thy

The quote essentially means we are all the same and not to judge anyone on their abilities or lack of but to let them discover for themselves what they can or cannot do, on their own.

In other words, set upon them no limits that will prevent them from discovering any potential abilities they may or may not have.

Capone
Capone

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine."
-Abraham Lincoln

The%20starry%20night%20-%20van%20gogh
ChicagoBrew

When you "Expect" something, prepare to be disappointed.

Just because one person "can", does not mean another "can".

What many of us may think to be something natural, and or common, that "everyone" is capable of, there are many in existence that are not capable of, regardless of "wishful" thinking.

"The Company Can Do It" - After 3.5 years, and The Company not doing "it", even after this phrase has been repeated thousands of times, wouldn't it be reasonable to suggest that saying The Company can do it, does not produce the results that were "hoped" for, by those who wishfully made the claim(s) that "The Company Can Do It"?

Speaking of Albert Einstein, it was he who provided us with today's definition of "Insanity".
It is quite fitting for this place, and should not be dismissed or ignored.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein

John Abrams
John Abrams

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine."
-Abraham Lincoln

GEORGE WASHINGTON SAID THAT.

John Abrams
John Abrams

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

One of my puppies is named Albert and the other is named Einstein. I also talk to a lot of scientists. Several in Moscow, one in France and one in Germany and we argue every day about everything. I always win when the latest idea (FTL transmissions, etc.) go against AE, because I never go against Einstein. AND HE IS ALWAYS RIGHT - about science.

But, Einstein was not an inventor.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

The greatest inventor who ever lived (BTW I used to live 5 minutes from his lab in W.O. NJ - KEWL PLACE) was Edison.

FOUND ONLINE

When Thomas Edison was interviewed by a young reporter who boldly asked Mr. Edison if he felt like a failure and if he thought he should just give up by now. Perplexed, Edison replied, "Young man, why would I feel like a failure? And why would I ever give up? I now know definitively over 9,000 ways that an electric light bulb will not work. Success is almost in my grasp." And shortly after that, and over 10,000 attempts, Edison invented the light bulb.

Please review Quirky's Code of Conduct before submitting.
Submit Reply