These forums are no longer active. The new forums can be found here.

Q-News & Announcements
Straight from HQ. Guidelines, updates, announcements, you name it.

Ben Kaufman
In Memory Of Steven Shaw | We Are All Community
Ben Kaufman
Quirky Team
04/09/2014 09:31 AM

“We Are All Community”

… but this week, i’m sad to report that we’ve lost our head of community- Steven Shaw.

Steven was a man you were all familiar with— an internet pioneer (he practically invented blogging), culinary genius, father of the most brilliant kid on the face of the planet (PJ), and of course husband to the wonderful Ellen.

Steven passed away suddenly on Tuesday. It’s hard to imagine a Quirky without him.

Emotions are high here at Quirky HQ. Steven made an impact on each and every Quirky employee.

-Steven made it a point to personally meet each and every new Quirky employee and introduce the importance of community.

-He brought passion and purpose to Product Evaluation every week.

-He taught us all that we know nothing about fashion. Regardless of his ironic shirt, he wore a huge smile every day… and that’s all that mattered.

-He advocated passionately for advancement and change.

-He worked around the clock in a job where you rarely get calls or emails with good news, but rather are always called with a problem or a fire that needs to be put out. And he still loved every minute of it.

-Steven was a truly amazing father. His son, PJ will always be a close part of the Quirky family. If we’re lucky— he’ll be running this place one day.

Above all, Steven was a remarkable human being. He made Quirky what it is today, and worked tirelessly on behalf of the community.

In his first few weeks on the job, Steven took a militant stance (as he would) that “we were all community” staff & not staff, online & offline, new members & old timers— we’re all in this together.

As we go through this, lets honor Steven by getting through this as one. This is our chance to show Steven the enormous impact he had on us. Because in Quirky, and in life— we are truly all in this together.

Quirky will be holding several special events in Steven’s honor over the next few days and weeks, so please stay tuned. Do refrain from contacting Steven’s family for the time being. If you’d like to send anything- please send to Quirky HQ, and we will get it up to his family promptly.

— The community service team is taking a day or two to process all of this, so there will be a delay in service requests. We appreciate you understanding —

Stephen Forbes
Stephen Forbes

Oh no that is terrible news ! =( I'm so sorry for your loss Ben and all of Quirky staff , my condolences to his family =(

Howard Eglowstein
Howard Eglowstein

Oh, that's terrible news! I just met him for the first time a few weeks ago and he was an amazing fellow. My condolences to his family, and of course to the staff that knew him.

Martin Stepniewski
Martin Stepniewski

Very sad and shocking news. My sincere condolences to his family and co-workers.

Scan0007
GinaB

Ben, what a beautiful tribute to Steven. I am sorry for the loss of your friend and all of his Quirky family and friends. I will miss seeing his face and his greeting to all newcomers.

indie
indie

This is so sad.

Clay Artist
Clay Artist

Grieving and loosing a friend and team member is very hard. I am sorry for your loss.

iThinker
iThinker

Rest in peace Steven Shaw.

Deepthinker
Deepthinker

God has placed his star in the sky for all to see, he will be missed, praying for him and his family, may God truly keep watch over them and to all in the Q staff prayers are going out for them.

Carlos Rivera
Carlos Rivera

“When he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

RIP Steven Shaw

Lynn Swords
Lynn Swords

Oh, I am so very, very sorry. He was such a kind person, and I know he will be missed terribly. I enjoyed following him and his love of food on Twitter. I will be praying for everyone as they walk through this very sad loss. It's so tough to lose someone you love. My deepest condolences to his wife and son.

Hadar
Hadar

My heart goes out to Steven's family and friends and everyone at Quirky. He will be missed. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

KJN
KJN

What a Tragedy! Such a nice man. My sincere sympathies to the Quirky Community for your loss and especially to his family!

Vindhyachal KA
Vindhyachal KA

Rest in peace, condolences to his family.

Michael "mouse" Greiner
Michael "mouse" Greiner

I am truly sorry. My condolences.

Lorin's Eggshells
Lorin's Eggshells

Oh my gosh I am just stunned. I am so very very sorry. Deepest condolences Shaw family :*(